If you have a pokey wire, please come in so we can help adjust the pokey wire. If you are unable to come in to see us right away, we have some suggestions to keep you comfortable until your next appointment.
1. Grab the wax that you received the day your braces were placed
2. Brush your teeth
3. Wash your hands
4. Dry pokey area with a clean, dry Q-tip or similar
5. Roll a small piece of the wax into a ball about the size of a pea
6. Apply the wax to the dry area of the mouth where the wire is poking out or causing irritation.
7. Hold your cheek away from the area for several seconds and make sure the wax is in place
8. Feel better
1. Sometimes you are able to replace wire into bracket all by yourself
2. Grab clean tweezers
3. Get a hold of the end of the wire with the tweezers and carefully insert it back into the bracket slot
4. After the wire is securely back in the bracket slot, you can use wax to keep the wire in place until your next orthodontic appointment
1. This is your LAST resort
2. This is something you should have your orthodontist do, but if you are in a pickle, you can carefully remove the part of the archwire that is poking.
3. Gently pull your cheek away from the area and dry the area where you will cut the wire.
4. Have an adult help you as you gently cut the pokey wire.
5. Afterwards, it is always smart to add wax to the area to keep the wire in place
6. See your orthodontist as soon as possible.